Professional self-care is self-care that is related to your work life, and may mean that you need to practice self-care while at work. It is about creating a healthy work-life balance. This is a really important area of self-care that we might not even think about. We all need a work-life balance and not to get burnt out at work. Remember that work is only one part of your life.
Now lets look at some activities that focus on professional self-care:
- Take short breaks, especially if you have a desk job.
- DO NOT have your lunch at your desk. Take a step back. Enjoy your lunch break. Go to the lunch room, go outside.
- Use your lunch break to reset your mind. Make it about you.
- Leave your work at work. This can be hard for some people but it is important to not bring your work home with you. If you work at home have boundaries within your house of were work is complete.
- Use your holiday leave. Your workplace will be able to survive without you. You will come back recharged and be able to give your best at work.
- Learn to say NO. Do not take on more work than you can handle.
- Form supportive relationships with co-workers.
- Take a step back and acknowledge what you have achieved.
- Set boundaries.
- Do not work unpaid overtime.
- Get regular supervision, have time to debrief with co-workers.
- Make sure that your work environment is positive.
- Continue to learn. Up skill.